CHECKLIST FOR MOVING HOUSE
Take a deep breath – the moving house checklist is here to keep those stress levels low! Download and print our moving checklist to make sure you’re on track with your stress-free move with us. Proceed below...
COUNTDOWN TO MOVING HOME:
SIX WEEKS TO GO
- Start a central file for your move documents
- Is the moving company booked
- Create a floor plan for your new home (if known) and plan placement of furniture
- Arrange for disposal of garden chemicals, paint and fuel
- Travelling? Have you arranged passports, visas, money, accommodation and flights
- Arrange to have mail held or redirected to your new address
- Notify school, day care etc of transfer
- Insurance – transit, home and contents, building, vehicle etc
- Check inventory list, cross off everything you don’t absolutely need and dispose of these items
- Cancel newspapers and other subscriptions or arrange to redirect to your new address.
TWO WEEKS TO GO
- If you planned to do some packing yourself, start now
- If you need cartons and packing materials, arrange delivery or collect by calling Surfside Removals
- Write on the packing tape of every carton describing room and content
- If your boat or trailer is to be included with the load ensure all items are packed away
- Return any borrowed items, library books, DVDs etc
- Check the garden, garage and shed and under the house
- Arrange pet vaccinations (if required)
- If your car is being moved, have it checked/serviced
- Arrange to transfer your bank accounts
ONE WEEK TO GO
- Establish cut off dates for electricity, gas and phone
- Make a list of your requirements on moving day
- If you’re transporting your car make sure arrangement are in place
- Ensure any travel arrangements for your pets has been confirmed
- Pets can often sense that change is occurring and its good idea to arrange for them to be collected the day you move or before if possible
- Drain fuel from lawn mowers, empty any gas cylinders/bottles (your local service station may be able to assist you with this)
- Remove batteries from any battery powered devices
- Arrange carpet/general cleaning
TWO DAYS TO GO
- Pack luggage, those items you will need immediately after you move
- Will you need to arrange special parking or access for your removalist at your new home
- Collect dry cleaning
- Do the laundry
- Dispose of any remaining chemicals, flammables & garbage
- Pack the items the professionals will not be packing
- Make a list of things you want the mover to pack last and unpack first.
ONE DAY TO GO
- If you are having items professionally wrapped/packed, this service will commence today
- Separate the items you have packed and will be taking with you
- Leave your forwarding address and phone number for your new premises with real estate agency
- Defrost your fridge (if necessary), clean it out and dry it.
- Eat or dispose of any food remaining in the kitchen.
- If your house will be vacant for a while notify police and neighbours.
- Pack yourself a survival kit; clothing, personal items, travel documents, tickets, first aid kit, money, cheque book and don’t forget the kids and pets.
- Collect all house keys, ensure electricity and gas metres have been read and telephone disconnected.
- Tighten all taps
- If renting, leave keys with your real estate agent/landlord
- As the moving van is being loaded, walk around the house, garden, garage & shed from time to time to check, check, check…
- Don’t forget to read through and sign the inventory before leaving the house.
- Turn off the power.
- Lock the house securely
- Change locks in the new house
CHECKLIST - UTILITIES & SERVICES TO NOTIFY:
- Post Office/Mail
- RTA (Drivers Licence)